Saturday, January 23, 2010

Reflections of a Winter Walk


Last week, amidst the tragedy fallen upon Haiti, constant abdominal pain, and the need to get some fresh air, I decided to take a short walk with my new camera. I had wanted to write a blog that week, but in light of the situation in Haiti, I felt there wasn't anything to say. So consider my silence a tribute.

Sometimes, or oftentimes, it is easy to envision your surrounding life as difficult, depressing, or even mundane. Perhaps you wonder, what happened to my passion for life? For (insert something you think is important)? What happened to motivation, or even interest? The past months have, in any case, facilitated the time to think of these things. Even now, I am continuously pondering why and how passion always changes.

And in some of those times, a simple walk can cure a case of lost passion.

A walk to the hills behind your dwelling. Hills you often think about and wonder, what would I find if I climbed those hills? Perhaps, an old blue shack, crackling paint revealing the building's nature.



Or, bright, red cherries hiding in tall, dry brush.




Then, discovery of a small temple. A pathway nearby climbs even higher to reveal a peek of the landscape.



Continue further, over felled bamboo trees, and discover - magic.

 

  Leaves rustle loudly as the wind throws its way through. The gentle clunking of hollow bamboo trees against each other creates a symphony all its own.




The sun glimmers through the trees as they sway to and fro, and the forest floor shimmers in response.



A time like this takes words from not only the mouth, but also the mind. They disappear in the forest's song, and suddenly perspective finds its way back. There, in the midst of tragedy and turmoil, depression and monotony, exists peace. Even, joy.

I returned back home that afternoon with numb fingers, rosy cheeks, and peace - not only of mind, but also of heart.

2 comments: